Monday, August 6, 2012

Move over Quaker! Better Peaches and Cream Oatmeal

I used to LOVE those easy packages of quaker oatmeal when I was in high school.  You know the box that came with the variety of flavors?  Maple Syrup, Strawberries and Cream, Peaches and Cream, etc? My favorite was Peaches and Cream. Hands down. And I was so excited when they started to make a box of only Peaches and Cream.  No more choosing. No more carefully selecting which day got which flavor so you could have your favorite only when you needed it most!

Well I was inspired by the peaches in season. Peaches are one of my favorite fruits.  My kids love them too.  So this morning, when we had slim pickings for breakfast, I decided to make my own version of Peaches and Cream Oatmeal.

It was a hit!


Peaches and Cream Oatmeal

1 cup organic old fashioned oats (really, steel cut are best but they take so much longer)
1 cup milk or non-dairy milk substitute
3/4 cup water
1/2 t vanilla
1 peach, diced small
1 T maple syrup
Additional maple syrup to taste

Combine oats and liquids (first 4 ingredients) and bring to a boil.  Continue cooking over medium heat until liquid is absorbed and oats become thick (about 5 minutes)...stir frequently to avoid burning.  Turn off heat.

Add peaches and maple syrup and stir.  Let sit for a minute so the peaches get soft.
Transfer to bowls and add maple syrup to your perfect taste.

This serves about 2-4 depending on appetite. In my case, my kids polished it all off and I only got a little taste.

On another note, after about a month of neglecting our garden, we have blight on our front yard tomatoes and our accidental pumpkin patch (a result of our lazy attempt at composting and using the dirt that obviously still had viable seeds!) died off early.  We are having an early harvest.  What cute pumpkins! I just hope they'll last till October.



Keeping it real! Kathy

1 comment:

  1. I love your pumpkins! I make this too, but I use quinoa and blend it so it's smooth.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!