Monday, September 30, 2013

Favorite "Squash Bread" recipes

I have a couple of go-to recipes for fun breads that I thought I'd share. The first is super simple and always delish.
It is designed to be a Pumpkin Bar/Muffin.


Pumpkin Muffins 
1 c pumpkin puree

1 c almond butter (I use raw creamy from Trader Joes)
1/2 c raw honey
2 eggs
1 1/2 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1 t vanilla extract

1 t cinnamon

1/4 t nutmeg

1/4 t cloves

Simply mix it all together and stick it in the oven.  350 degrees - 15 mins for cupcakes or 30 for bars/bread.  They are super moist.  The only negative is that it doesn't make that many!  I have substituted butternut squash and they are equally yum.  You probably could do banana, but cut the honey or they'd be too sweet.  I will admit, I added 2 leaves of Kale to this batch. Can you see the flecks?  Can't taste it.  (I blended it in my vitamix first).



And here is a basic recipe that I tweak. I just try to keep the wet ingredients in the same quantity range.  When I'm swimming in meyer lemons I add one (zest and juice) and it does just fine. Today I added butternut squash.  Yum.

Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Bread
Adapted from: Marcus Samuelsson
Yields: 1 Loaf | Prep Time: 20 minutes | Bake Time:  55 minutes
2 eggs

1/2 cup honey

1 cup mashed banana

1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 medium zucchini, grated

1 cup chocolate chips, raisins, dried fruit, nuts, or a mixture of any of these
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a standard-sized loaf pan.
Beat together the eggs, honey, banana, brown sugar, and vanilla until well-combined.
In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.  Mix into the egg/banana mixture just until combined.
Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips, just until combined.
Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Let rest for 20 minutes before removing from the loaf pan.  Cool completely on a wire rack.
For best results, store loosely draped with a kitchen towel. Wrapping your bread in plastic or foil will result in gummy texture.

I found this on this website: http://delishhh.com/2011/08/16/whole-wheat-zucchini-banana-bread/




Keeping it real! Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your ideas, suggestions, and feedback!